Academy of Aviation is happy to rent aircraft to licensed pilot for both time building and
purposes. Before any licensed pilot can rent our airplanes you must first read and sign a
copy of our Rules
We fly 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Our office is open 7 days a week from 7:00-19:00.
We have some of the most competitive pricing in New York area for both single engine and multiengine! Academy of Aviation has recently added Diamond DA42's, DA20's and Brand New Cessna 172's to our fleet.
For all inquiries, please call (631) 777-7772 to talk to our front desk.
Airplane and Flight Simulator Rentals
Available 7 Days a Week, 24 Hours a Day
For insurance purposes, all pilots must ensure their proficiency as
- Licensed pilots with less than one hundred fifty hours total flight time must have acted as pilot-in-command, or completed a currency check on an Academy of Aviation aircraft in the past thirty days.
- Licensed pilots with one hundred fifty hours or more total flight time must have acted as pilot-in-command, or completed a currency check on an Academy of Aviation aircraft within the last sixty days.
- Recreational Pilot Permit holders with less than one hundred and fifty hours total flight time must have acted as pilot-in-command, or completed a currency check on an Academy of Aviation aircraft in the past 14 days. When total time exceeds one hundred and fifty hours, currency then becomes 30 days.
- Licensed pilots and Permit holders must have completed a minimum 1.0 hour long Annual Check-out with one of our Instructors in the previous 12 months.
- Licensed pilots and Permit Holders must complete a flight that is at least 0.5 in duration in order to be current. Currency cards will only be updated at the completion of a flight of 0.5 or more of Hobbs time.
- Student Pilots must have flown either dual or solo in the past fourteen days, and authorization of this flight, must be made by an instructor of Academy of Aviation. Authorization of these flights, are also at the discretion of the instructor on duty, pending other variables (wind conditions, etc.)
- All PILOTS who do not meet the above requirements will be required to complete a currency check-out ride with an Academy of Aviation instructor. Duration of this flight for single engine pilots is at the discretion of the instructor on duty.
Biennial Flight Review
Our professional instructors will work with you for your biennial flight review.
The goal of the review should be established prior to beginning the review. We will make sure
understand all the elements of the oral and practical portions of the flight review prior to
For the purposes of the flight review you can either rent one of our airplanes or you can have the flight review conducted with your own airplane. Please call us for more details.
You can read more about the flight review in this AOPA article:
"Pilot’s Guide to the Flight Review"
Instrument Proficiency Check
Nail your IPC with AOA.
There are two sets of rules for flying any aircraft: VFR and IFR. VFR stands for Visual
and IFR means Instrument Flight Rules. Depending on the weather conditions, a pilot may opt
for one set
of rules or the other.
"Knowledge is key to safe instrument operation, but it needs to be much deeper than the ability to recite rules and regulations. Scenario-based training is a very effective way to test a pilot’s knowledge in the context of real-world IFR flying."
Please read this article from the FAA to set your expectations about the Instrument Proficiency Check:
"Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) Guidance"
Below are some key points to understand about the Instrument Proficiency Check from the IPC Guidance manual linked above:
|61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.
|c) Instrument experience.Except as
paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR
or in weather
conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the
preceding 6 calendar
months, that person has:
(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who does not meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section within the prescribed time, or within 6 calendar months after the prescribed time, may not serve as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR until that person passes an instrument proficiency check consisting of a representative number of tasks required by the instrument rating practical test.
Academy of Aviation's Fleet features a wide range of airplanes and includes a state-of-the-art flight simulator.
We are a Cessna Pilot Center and Cessna Authorized Service Facility.
Our aviation training facility is Cessna Certified. More pilots have learned to fly in a Cessna than any other name in the business. Cessna aircraft make flight training vehicles for classroom education and flying lessons. They are easy to fly, stable, sporty, and fun. Cessna aircraft offer extreme visibility, comfortable interiors and the latest in modern avionics.
Our Rental Fleet* Includes:Diamond DA42
*Availability varies by location.
Academy of Aviation is the only flight school in the northeastern United States that has a
G1000 and traditional gauge instrument flight simulator. Immersing the pilot in the
essential to selling sensation of flight. Sitting in a corner at a desktop trainer might
help to train
certain skills, but it will never be confused for real flight. You have to isolate the pilot
instructor from the outside world so that they can be totally focused on the simulation.
That's why the
Redbird FMX comes equipped with a light-weight aluminum cockpit enclosure. Not only does
this help to
immerse the pilot in the simulation, but it also isolates the student and instructor from
distractions that can easily derail a training session.
A great visual system is essential for a training device to be truly effective and versatile. If you want to train complex maneuvers such as turns around a point, circling approaches or even basic pattern work, one forward looking screen is not going to cut it. That's why we equipped the Redbird FMX with six monitors dedicated only to external views. This high-quality, wrap-around visual system helps to sell the sensation of flight and enhances training at all levels. It allows you to train procedures and maneuvers that are not possible with other flight training devices.
*Available at all Academy of Aviation locations.